Areas of Focus
- Represented public company in an internal investigation of unethical and potentially illegal actions by senior level officers and the general counsel.
- Represented a life science company in investigating allegations of violations of federal law by a key executive.
- Conducted an internal investigation of harassment alleged against a board member by another officer of a start-up company.
- Conducted internal investigation of harassment by a disgruntled shareholder against company executives leading to restraining order and precautionary safety measures.
- Represented a medical device company in an internal investigation of suspected embezzlement by an employee. Our thorough investigation led to the opening of an official criminal investigation by law enforcement.
- Represented a banking institution in an investigation of potentially improper use of lender funds by bank executives.
- Conducted internal investigation for defense contractor related to $500,000 embezzlement leading to prosecution by San Diego District Attorney’s Office.
- On behalf of insurance carrier, investigated allegations of extortion brought against claims specialist.
- Investigated fraud and embezzlement by former CEO of investment company.
- Conducted FCPA due diligence investigation for American health care company in its acquisition of new entities.
- Represented insurance company in dozens of complex investigations related to potential False Claims Act and Kickback violations related to medical providers.
- Successfully federal and California government agencies ultimately obtaining criminal declination.
- Conducted investigation in response to SEC inquiry regarding potential securities fraud conducted by related investor.
- Conducted investigation on behalf of construction company in relation to allegations of potential violations of the Clean Water Act by the federal government.
- Represented a construction company in an investigation and enforcement action by California’s Division of Labor Standards Enforcement.
- Conducted internal investigation related to employment allegations against defense contractor before the Department of Fair Employment & Housing.
- Conducted internal investigation into allegations of discrimination brought before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.
- Performed sensitive investigation for California municipality related to leak of highly classified information including interviewing Mayor, City Council members and City Attorney.
- Represented American company purchasing foreign entity in conducting bilingual internal investigation related to allegations of violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practice Act.
- Investigation of potential FCPA bribery and U.S. Travel Act violations by company executive.
- Represented a waste collection and recycling company in a regulatory investigation by CAL-OSHA through a bilingual internal investigation.
- Conducted investigation on behalf of a university related to a complaint of racial discrimination and harassment made by a professor against the President of the University.
- Represented a global faith-based organization in an internal workplace investigation of suspected age and race-based discrimination by senior level human resource professionals.
Castañeda Lawyers’ investigation team includes lawyers who formerly served as Assistant United States Attorneys, an in-house team of investigators who formerly served as federal agents, forensic accounting consultants, and e-discovery specialists.
Our team of bilingual lawyers and investigators specialize in serving as special investigation counsel in matters requiring an independent, discreet, time-sensitive investigation.
"The firm I trust to give me effective, ethical and professional representation on important, sensitive matters.”
- Kurt Oreshack, General Counsel, Human Longevity, Inc.